Thursday, August 20, 2009

New collage in the works


I'm in the middle of working on a collage for a Capricorn Classic Tote. It's not done yet, but here's the base of it.

I'll be coming back and forth to this post as i work on the collage and the bag.

Edit ya later!

11:57am

Well, I went back to the drawing board, where all good things do pass and transform into something else. I like the collage that emerged a whole lot better. The next step will be to print it onto canvas transfer paper and then sew it into a bag. The bag pattern is for a Jordy bag with adjustments made by me to accommodate putting together different fabrics, depending what is in my material larder.

This is when my inner painter becomes frustrated because that part of me that can pick up a paintbrush and change a colour to what it needs to be wants to just "gitRdun", with a few simple strokes. But then I re-tune to matching swatches. It is what quilters, fabric artists and photoshoppers deal with all the time. What I love most about this process is working creatively with what you have. Love it, just love it! There's a joyous satisfaction of give and take in this that i simply can't fully explain. It is like knowing that what you have inside you will interweave harmoniously with what is before you, and that is more than enough.

Which brings me to the next point which is that there really are no original ideas. Only different (and perhaps new) ways of looking at the familiar. Our creative ideas are a collection of notions informed by the buzz on the collective consciousness airwaves. If you are lucky and in tune, you may catch a riff from the Muse who will inspire and carry you away in a particular direction where many have dared to go before, experimented and given birth to a new configuration. It's a co-creative collaboration more than anything else. I show up and do my part. I don't own it. And it does not own me. There's a lot to be said for that kind of creative freedom.

Here's the new Capricorn Collage:

No comments:

Post a Comment